In compliance with FERPA, JHU may not disclose personally identifiable information from the education records of a student without the prior written consent of the student, except in the following circumstances:

  • to university and school officials who have legitimate educational interests;
  • if the disclosure is information the University has designated as directory information;
  • to a contractor, consultant, volunteer, or other party to whom the University has outsourced institutional services or functions and is considered a university or school official performing an institutional service or function for which the University would otherwise use employees and is under the direct control of the university with respect to use and maintenance of education records;
  • to officials of another educational institution in which the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled so long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer (copies of the disclosed records will be made available to the student upon request);
  • to authorized representatives of the U.S. comptroller general, the secretary of the U.S. Department of Education, the attorney general of the United States, or state and local educational authorities;
  • to organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the University for the purpose of developing, validating, or administering predictive tests, administering student aid programs, and improving instruction;
  • to accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions;
  • to parents of a dependent student, as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
  • to parents of a student under the age of 21 the student’s violation of any federal, state or local law, or of any rule or policy of the University governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance, where the University determines that the student has committed a disciplinary violation;
  • to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena, with the condition that the University makes a reasonable effort to notify the student of the order or subpoena in advance of compliance so that the student may seek protective action, if applicable;
  • in a health or safety emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals;
  • in connection with a disciplinary proceeding at an institution of postsecondary education; and
  • in connection with financial aid for which a student has applied or which a student has received.

The University may also disclose:

  • to the victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, the final results of the disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University with respect to that crime or offense; and
  • the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, where the University determines as a result of that disciplinary proceeding that a student alleged to be a perpetrator of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense has committed a violation of University rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against the student. Disclosure of final results may include name of the student who is the alleged perpetrator, any violation committed and any sanction imposed (including description of disciplinary action, date imposed and the sanction’s duration).

FERPA imposes limitations on the redisclosure of personally-identifying information from student education records. JHU may disclose personally identifiable information from an education record only on the condition that the party to whom the information is disclosed will not disclose the information to any other party without the prior consent of the eligible student, and that information disclosed from student records may be used only for the purposes for which the disclosure was made.

Full Separator


In compliance with FERPA, JHU must obtain written consent before disclosing non-directory information from a student’s education record. Non-directory information includes, but is not limited to, grades, disciplinary records, tuition and fees assessments, admission records, and financial aid. Students who wish to authorize JHU to release non-directory information from their education record must submit a Student Information Release Authorization form. Students must submit a separate form for each third party to whom they grant access to their education record. Students must also identify the specific information that should be released. The specific information to be released will be made available only if requested by the authorized third party.

JHU has determined that requests from parents of dependent students (as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986) should be accompanied by a written letter of permission from the student whose record is requested, unless JHU releases records to parents without consent of the student pursuant to the exclusions established by FERPA.

Students may elect to include an expiration date on the authorization form, or they may revoke the authorization at any time by submitting a Request to Revoke Release Authorization form. Completed authorization release forms will be in effect indefinitely if the student does not elect an expiration date or submit a Request to Revoke Release Authorization form.

JHU discloses personally identifiable information from students’ education records only on the condition that the party to whom the information is disclosed will not disclose the information to any other party without the prior consent of the student. Any party to whom student education record information is disclosed may use the information only for the purposes for which the disclosure was made.

Student information release authorization form


Please note, students who do not authenticate using an active JHED ID when submitting FERPA request forms will be contacted to schedule a virtual appointment during which they will be asked to display a valid photo ID as proof of identity. JHU cannot move forward with requests until the student identity is verified.

Block Featured Image

JHU Faculty/Staff Members: Need to know if a student has submitted a Student Information Release Authorization form?

Please contact FERPA@jhu.edu for assistance.