Johns Hopkins University provides currently enrolled students with the ability to change their personal information.  For information on how to update personal information, please click on the relevant link(s) below.  For additional assistance, please submit a SEAM Support Case.

Chosen Name

Learn more about using a chosen name at JHU by visiting Diversity at JHU’s Chosen Name page, which includes information and instructions on how to update a chosen name in select JHU systems.

Legal Name, SSN/Tax ID, and More

Current Students

Currently enrolled students may change their legal name, SSN/Tax ID, and more using the Identity Management Form in SIS Self-Service. To access the form and submit a request, use the following instructions:

  1. Log into SIS Self Service
  2. On the left pane, click on Personal Info, then Summary
  3. Under the Required Information section, click on the Identity Management Form link
  4. Enter the request information and upload supporting documentation (when required)
  5. Submit the form (updates pertaining to the request will be sent to the requestor’s Hopkins email address)
Change TypeRequired Document(s)
Legal Name (First, Middle, Last, and/or Suffix)One of the following; Court Document/Order, Driver’s License, Passport, Social Security Card, other Government-issued Documentation (i.e. Valid Green Card)
CitizenshipOne of the following; Naturalization Form or Passport
Date of BirthOne of the following; Driver’s License, Identification Card, Passport, or Birth Certificate
GenderDocumentation is not required
Race and/or EthnicityDocumentation is not required
Social Security NumberOne of the following: Social Security Card, or Tax Forms (W-2,1040, or 1098)

Former Students/Alumni

JHU student records are closed 30 days after graduation and/or discontinuation of enrollment, and the information contained therein cannot be updated; however, former students and alumni can update personal information on file with the Johns Hopkins Alumni Association.

Name Pronunciation (NameCoach)

Currently enrolled students have the option to use NameCoach to voice-record the preferred pronounciation of their names in select university systems. Faculty and staff can use the NameCoach recordings to more easily learn the preferred pronunciation of student names by listening to the playback of the audio recordings in the systems below.

Systems Supporting NameCoach

System NameSupports NameCoach Recording, Playback, or Both
Student Information System (SIS)Both
CoursePlus (SPH) – coming soonBoth

Recording a Name using NameCoach

Recording a Name in Canvas

Information and instructions for using NameCoach in Canvas are available on the Canvas at JHU page.

Recording a Name in the JHU Student Information System (SIS)
  1. Log into SIS Self-Service
  2. Select the Personal Info menu item and then General Information
  3. Click on [record name] as indicated in the image below
  4. Follow the instructions on the NameCoach recording tool page. Please note that students can choose to record their name using a computer microphone, or they can elect to have the NameCoach service call them at a specified phone number to record their name using their phone.
Help & Troubleshooting Links


Learn more about using a set of pronouns at JHU by visiting Diversity at JHU’s Pronouns page, which includes information and instructions on how to specify pronouns in select JHU systems.