On behalf of the University, we take this opportunity to thank you for your service to our country and for choosing Johns Hopkins University to fulfill your educational goals. We sincerely hope that your experience with our institution is a rewarding one.

Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans, service members, eligible spouses and dependents under the provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Information about VA education benefits is available on or by calling 1-888-442-4551.

For additional information regarding utilizing VA benefits at Johns Hopkins University click here to contact us!

How to Apply for Benefits

To obtain veterans educational benefits, students must comply with the following procedures:

Initial Enrollment

  1. After acceptance to JHU, apply for VA benefits – visit for instructions.
  2. The VA will review the application. If eligible for education benefits, the VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the student. (Note: Students may begin enrolling in courses)
  3. Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter or Statement of Benefits (can be viewed at ) to .
  4. Log into SIS Self-Service, click the Billing tab, select Third Party Billing, and choose Veterans Affairs and Chapter of benefits. Next, read the Student Acknowledgement Section and check the box to acknowledge and sign. Click submit.


Eligible dependents of veterans should refer to VA website to obtain the correct application form depending on the service member’s dates of service.

Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete the VA 22-1995 Form (Change of Program or Place of Training) through

Tuition Payments

The amount of payment is governed by the student’s eligibility established by the VA. The 2021-2022 annual tuition cap set by the VA for private schools is $26,042.81. The student is responsible for the remaining tuition. JHU does participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. See Yellow Ribbon below for details.


Students must request certification each semester by selecting Third Party Payer VA under billing tab. Failure to submit a request will result in a presumption that benefits are not being sought for that term.

To submit a VA certification request, log into SIS Self-Service, click the Billing tab, select Third Party Billing, and choose VA and appropriate chapter of benefits. Next, read the Student Acknowledgement Section and check the box to acknowledge and sign. Click submit.

Please click here to contact us with any concerns or questions.

Note: Students utilizing VA education benefits must let their School Certifying Official know immediately of any change in their status or program that might affect the amount of their payment from the VA.

School Certifying Officials

The School Certifying Official is responsible for processing certifications of enrollment for all students receiving veteran educational benefits; updating and reporting accurate enrollment to the Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA); and maintaining federal compliance. Early in the admission and registration process, students eligible for VA educational benefits must contact the SCO by clicking here and identify themselves. Students should realize that an SCO cannot determine eligibility for benefits; this is the sole responsibility of the VA. School Certifying Officials throughout Johns Hopkins University are committed to assisting you on your educational journey.

Nancy Carr
Dawn Wilmoth
Ruth Butler
All JHU DivisionsClick here to contact us!410-516-6635

Military Scholarships

Many organizations offer scholarships to help cover education costs for veterans. View a list of external scholarships.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Johns Hopkins University is a proud participant in the Yellow Ribbon program, which allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the amount payable to private institutions in an academic year. Yellow Ribbon awards are applied on a first-come, first-served basis. The rates and maximums for the Yellow Ribbon program can change from year-to-year. Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon program.

Title IV/Federal Financial Aid

Students who complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be eligible to receive federal financial aid, including grants, student loans, and/or work opportunities. See the links below for each school’s financial aid office. While students may borrow from any lender they chose, federal student loans often have lower interest rates and better repayment terms than non-federal or alternative loans.

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to you.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program as well as the GI Bill®. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education or training.

Financial Aid Contacts

DivisionContact NameEmail AddressURL of Webpage(s) Explaining How to Apply for Financial Aid
ASEN (including AAP, EP, and Post-Bacc/Pre-Med)Owen
EducationHysha Nesmithhnesmit1@jhu.eduSoE Veterans/G.I. Bill Assistance
MedicineTerra Jones-Sims tjones80@jhmi.eduSoM Apply for Aid
NursingSherrod Wilkersonswilker6@jhu.eduSoN Other Funding Sources
PeabodyCeleste Franklin peabodyfinaid@jhu.eduPeabody Financial Aid & Scholarships
Public HealthFlora Whartonfwharton@jhu.eduPublic Health Financial Aid Application Procedures
SAISLaura Boeslerlboesler@jhu.eduSAIS Financial Aid Office

Military Tuition Assistance

The point of contact for Service members is Nancy Carr 410-516-6635. If utilizing tuition assistance, please click here to upload your documentation using our online web form.

Military tuition assistance may only be used to pursue degree programs at colleges and universities in the United States that are regionally or nationally accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S Department of Education. Each military branch has its own tuition assistance application procedure. It is recommended the military student visit their local installation education center. Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to provide an education degree plan or complete tuition assistance orientation.

The tuition assistance recipient can request the degree plan from their advisor or contact Nancy Carr, School Certifying Official, by clicking here or at 410-516-6635 for assistance. Your service’s education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

Visit for helpful information about military tuition assistance processes.

Keep in mind that tuition assistance will not fund your college courses, and you will have to reimburse any funds already paid if any of the following situations occur:

  • Leaving the service before the course ends
  • Quitting the course for reasons other than personal illness, military transfer or mission requirements
  • Failing the course

Tuition Refund Policy

Week #Refund ScheduleFall 2018 DeadlineSpring 2019 Deadline
Prior to start of semester - end of week 2100%September 14February 8
Week 390%September 21February 15
Week 480%September 28February 22
Week 570%October 5March 1
Week 660%October 12March 8
Week 750%October 19March 15
Week 840%October 26March 29

End of 8th week of classes;

9th calendar week due to spring break
Week 9 - end of semesterNo RefundOctober 27 and laterMarch 30 and later

End of 9th week of classes; 10th calendar week due to spring break
Note for Military TA recipients: Upon withdrawal for a term, students utilizing military TA will have their funds returned to the US government according to the return policy for Title IV federal aid.

Unearned Tuition Assistance Refund Policy

Week #Refund Schedule
Prior to start of semester - end of week 2100%
Week 390%
Week 480%
Week 570%
Week 660%
Week 750%
Week 840%
Week 9 (60% course completed) 30%
Week 10 - end of semesterNo Refund

GUIDELINE: percentage of term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the term. This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid. Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using this formula: aid to be returned = (100% of the aid that could be disbursed minus the percentage of earned aid) multiplied by the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during the period or term.

To comply with the Department of Defense policy, the University will return any unearned TA funds on a proportional basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. Additional information can be found with the JHU Policy on Return of Title IV Funds.