Preferred Name at JHU
Johns Hopkins University offers students, faculty, and staff the option of using a preferred first name within select university systems.
A preferred or chosen name is the use of a first name that is different from a person’s legal name. There are many reasons why someone would use a preferred name, such as a reflection of gender identity, as a nickname, or as a westernized or Americanized name.
JHU reserves the right to remove a preferred name for any reason, including misrepresentation or the use of inappropriate, offensive or derogatory language.
This information applies to all schools and campuses at JHU, except where indicated.
For more information, read the university’s statement on supporting preferred names.
Specifying Your Preferred Name in JHU Systems
Some systems are automatically updated by the Preferred First Name specified in myJH while other systems require a manual update. The myJH portal also supports a Preferred Full name, which is more limited in use.
Systems Supporting Preferred Name
These systems support a separate preferred name value or allow updating a first name.
|myJH portal/JHED||All schools||Students, faculty and staff||Specified via Preferred First Name and Preferred Full Name. Searchable via portal. Learn about the two fields in myJH.|
Systems Automatically Updated
|Outlook and Office 365||All schools||Students, faculty and staff||Name set from Preferred First Name or Preferred Full Name in myJH. Learn about the two fields in myJH.|
| SIS||All schools except School of Medicine||Students and faculty||Preferred Name set from Preferred First Name in myJH. Student names: Used in class rosters and for advising. Faculty names: Used in class rosters, class information and syllabi (varies by school).|
|Degree Audit||All schools except School of Nursing and School of Medicine||Students||Preferred Name set from Preferred First Name in myJH|
|Blackboard||All schools except Bloomberg School of Public Health||Students and faculty||First Name set from Preferred First Name in myJH if specified. Otherwise, First Name set from First Name in myJH.|
|CoursePlus||Bloomberg School of Public Health||Students and faculty||Preferred Name set from Preferred First Name in myJH. Used any place name appears.|
|Housing Portal (StarRez)||Krieger and Whiting Undergraduate||Students||Preferred Name set from Preferred First Name in myJH|
|Homewood Rec Center||All schools||Students||Goes By name set from Preferred First Name in myJH|
|eIRB2||Research Areas||Students, faculty and staff||Preferred Name used in place of First Name for user account|
|myLearning||All of JHU||Faculty and staff||Preferred Name will display on learning plans, history and certificates|
Systems Requiring Direct Update
|J-Card||All schools||Students, faculty and staff||Card can be changed on request to display preferred name|
|NameCoach||All schools||Students||Students update First Name as well as the field with name for announcement|
|Hopkins Groups||Mostly Krieger and Whiting||Students||Students update First Name|
|B-Involved||Carey||Students||Students update First Name|
|Zoom for Students||All schools||Students||Students update Display Name in their profile|
|Zoom for Faculty and Staff||All schools||Faculty and staff||Faculty and staff update Display Name in their profile|
|Interlibrary Loan||All schools using the Sheridan Library||Students, faculty and staff||Contact Library Support staff to change First Name|
|Homewood Disability Services||Krieger and Whiting Undergraduate and Graduate, Peabody||Students||Preferred Name entered during first visit. Name specified should match myJH.|
|Student Counseling||Krieger and Whiting Undergraduate, Peabody||Students||Preferred Name entered during first visit|
|Homewood Student Health and Wellness Center||Krieger and Whiting Undergraduate, Peabody||Students||Preferred Name entered during first visit|
|Athletic Team Rosters||All schools||Student Athletes||Staff can update preferred name/nickname|
|Handshake||All schools||Students and alumni||Preferred Name set initially from SIS. Student/alumni enter subsequent changes.|
|Alumni Relations||All schools||Alumni||Staff can update Nickname|
Documents & Systems Requiring Legal Name
These documents and systems are among those that require your legal name.
- Official Transcripts
- Enrollment and Degree Verification
- Teacher Certification (School of Education)
- Student Accounts and Student Billing
- Immigration Documents, SEVIS and iHopkins
- Financial Aid
- National Student Clearinghouse
- Insurance and Benefits
- Medical ID Badges (East Baltimore Campus)
Preferred Name Guidelines for Faculty & Staff
For faculty and staff, using appropriate names is an important way of establishing norms of respect with the students you work with. For everyone, using appropriate names signals your willingness to be inclusive to everyone.
- Wherever possible, use someone’s preferred name. This includes casual conversation, email communication, and formal settings.
- A student can change their preferred name at any time. As faculty, periodically check your class roster for current preferred names.
- If you are creating a registration/signup form, allow the use of preferred name only, unless there is some specific reason you need access to someone’s legal name.
- Depending on which platforms you use, you may have access to a student or colleague’s legal name. Treat this as confidential data and do not employ it unless there is a specific need for it to be used.
- There may be circumstances (e.g. when conducting a background check, dealing with financial records, or sending postal mail) when a legal name is required. Limit the use of that name to those circumstances.
- There may be times (e.g. when contacting family members or writing letters of recommendation) when someone may not want the preferred name used. If you are hesitant about a particular context, you can ask privately if there is an exception to using the preferred name.
- In most circumstances, someone’s JHED (e.g. jhopkin1) will stay static, so you can reliably use that to identify a record in SIS or other platforms even if the preferred name is not visible/searchable.
Direct questions about preferred name usage and support to one of the following groups: